Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Principal on the Roof!

The principal of my son's elementary school is camping out on the school roof tonight!  Mr. Stevens encourages home reading by creating unique events if the kids meet the year's reading goal.  The goal was to read at least 500,000 minutes by the end of the school year, and the kids read 504,227 minutes this school year!  He invited families to visit tonight for a short time so the children could send up gifts, giggle, and get excited about their accomplishment.  Mr. Stevens is a great principal who works hard to encourage learning, inspire creativity, build school community, create lasting memories, and most importantly keeps school FUN!!!!



4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I think this is one of the sweetest and silliest things I've ever heard of a principal doing! That's certainly a good way to make students aware that their reading accomplishments have been recognized! I should show your blog post to my principal and suggest he do the same! I wonder what he'd say.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing things like this makes me so happy and relieved that principals do have fun with the kids and find ways to make learning more exciting for them. So often you see principals who are just a disciplinarian and who don't reach out to the kids. I can only imagine how much the students love this principal and LOVE school and learning! Plus, what better reason to read!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't agree with you more. He really is a great principal! My son talks about him all the time. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to make it through the night because we had some lightning and rain storms in the middle of the night. He encourages the kids to think of a reading challenge goal event each year. Last year he moved his office to the roof for the day.

      Delete
  3. WOW! What an AWESOME principal. I am certain the students will never forget the experience of their principal camping out on the roof of their school. What a fun memory he has created for his students. Like Jess, I am so happy to see that there are still principals out there that are not so bogged down by paperwork that they are still having fun with their students. I think it is SO important for students to see the principal actively involved and engaged in students academics and learning in a positive way. What a great way to motivate students to read, read, read!

    ReplyDelete